Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Ivor Cutler on BBC, VKBMKL

Ivor Cutler drawing, 1961 (from An Elpee and Two Epees, CD reissue, Decca) / Ivor Cutler and Phyllis King at the BBC (archival photo, from the film Looking For Truth With a Pin, 2004)



Me and My Brother, Peel session, 1989


Women of the World, Peel session, 1983. (This is the only version I've heard with Mr. Cutler on vocals. The album and single versions are sung by Linda Hirst.)


Today, I had the honour of guest posting on Vintage Kids' Books My Kid Loves, Burgin Streetman's incredible website. She's doing important work over there. I can't begin to count the number of books that have entered this house on Burgin's recommendation and I thank her for that. I wrote about Ivor Cutler's first children's book Meal One from 1971. There's almost no information online about his kids' books and I thought it'd be nice to start somewhere.

Although he often included drawings in his poetry books, he didn't illustrate his own children's book, which is a real shame, I think.

And finally, if anyone knows where I can find copies of Herbert The Elephant and Herbert the Chicken (both 1984), illustrated by Alfreda Benge (who also happens to be the partner of Robert Wyatt), please let me know. Those stories were re-illustrated by Patrick Benson in a collection called Herbert: Five Stories (1988). (update: I just found Herbert The Chicken)

previously: Ivor Cutler